Which projects do you think have the best communities?

Obviously, Bitcoin and Ethereum have massive communities but in terms, of quality, MakerDAO really impresses me. Only 5k subscribers on Reddit and 15k followers on Twitter but they’re really high quality community members.

Rune Christensen, founder of MakerDAO, specifically made the MKR token not available on public exchanges because he wanted the people who held the governance token to be a small, tight-knit, sophisticated group. By making it available on public exchanges like Binance, it would’ve brought a lot people who are in it for the money and would’ve polluted their community. MakerDAO also used to record their weekly meetings and community meetings and put them up on Soundcloud. Super impressed with the care they’ve taken to grow the community.

Herdera Hashgraph has a growing commmunity with a platform developers can currently build on.
The issue with Herdera is that it is not truly decentralized and this creates distrust in its network even though they claim to be building the trust layer in the internet.

The Turtlecoin community is pretty large (10k+ Members on discord) and are pretty active in their Github repo.

I agree that Turtlecoin is one of the best. One way to quantify the activity on their Github is to look at CoinGecko. CoinGecko tracks the development activity of the coins via public source code repositories. In September, it reached #22 on CoinGecko Dev Score rankings. https://twitter.com/_turtlecoin/status/1039875008204627968 Impressive for a coin with such a small market cap.

Why do you think the Turtlecoin community is so strong? What makes it so tight-knit?

If I had to guess, it’s the combination of a low token price and a high level of engagement from project leadership. It attracts people who want to focus on the tech instead of price speculation.

Same reason why we stayed away from an ICO.

https://www.trustory.io/faqs/
Check out the token section.

@Ked @LAMikeG @leo

Check out Grin’s forum. They also have a phenomenal, niche community:

Evidence: Look at the submission people gave for it’s logo.
https://www.grin-forum.org/t/grin-logos-for-community-consideration/155/10

Thanks for introducing me to Grin! I hadn’t heard of the project before. The idea is quite novel and the community does seem great.

I like the RChain community with there cooperative setup, Ethereum as a great community if we talk about the core contributors.

I know my answer might be controversial, but I take an analytical approach when answering these types of questions. Using quantitative measures, I think Tron clearly has the best community. I understand that all these metrics can be gamed, but I believe that looking at these measures is the only way to quantify the qualification “best”.

According to data aggregation service CoinGecko, Tron has the most Facebook likes out of any coin tracked. Furthermore, Tron has fifth highest amount of telegram users in their sponsored channel and the sixth largest amount of Twitter followers. Tron is clearly popular across social media platforms, and many retail traders and potential dapp users are interested in using the Tron platform. These people who are early fans of Tron are a key component of their community.

Tron also has a significant amount of users actually using dapps on their platform according to DappRadar. In fact, more people use TRONbet, the most popular dapp on Tron, than IDEX, which is the most popular dapp on Ethereum. Their early users differentiates Tron from many cryptoasset projects, and displays a genuine interest in utilizing the platform.

Tron is also following Ethereum’s path (DevCon) in hosting incredibly large conferences for their community members. In fact, the niTROn summit will have Kobe Bryant speaking. While Kobe Bryant might not be an expert on cryptoassets, he will definitely generate buzz about the event and excite the Tron community.

Unlike many cryptoasset projects, Tron constantly communicates their progress to their community. Tron has a weekly report that they publish on their website, which allows their community to understand the development of the project. Furthermore, they make sure to publish announcements about coin listings and partnerships that are of interest to speculators and investors.

Finally, Tron has had the fourth most GitHub commits from developers in their community in the past twelve months. GitHub commits is one metric that can be used to measure contributions from community developers.

While Tron has received harsh criticism for Justin Sun’s marketing techniques and their desire to “move fast and break things” (ex. their white paper having some passages seemingly copied from Filecoin’s white paper), looking at quantitative measures Tron has the best community.

@FatTony

As long as you can back any claim with evidence, we’re not opposed to any ideas. We don’t thought-police.

I liked how you showed that the Tron community is strong with evidence- facebook likes (personally, I think facebook likes is a poor measure because the crypto community doesn’t use facebook to interface with crypto projects.), DAU from DappRadar, large-scale conferences, progress updates, GitHub commits.

The only thing I would dispute is the following:
“looking at quantitative measures Tron has the best community.”

What was the methodology you used in the ranking of crypto communities? Once I understand that I can debate the claim better.

I didn’t have any particular methodology at this point beyond just looking at how Tron ranked on quantitative measures that I believed were related to “community”, seeing that they consistently ranked in the top 10 compared to other coins across the varying metrics, and thus came to the conclusion that they were “the best”. That being said, my filters did not differentiate from “high quality” community members vs. “lower quality” community members, which is something you differentiate on in previous posts. I agree that in reality those are very important and effective ways to differentiate, but think they can’t effectively be applied for categorizing purposes. In a perfect world, I believe that differentiation would be essential, though in reality the process by which someone would categorize those the members of a project’s community by quality would be both highly subjective and unruly.

But the way I could see a methodology being framed is through creating some equation that uses metrics such as Facebook likes, GitHub commits, Twitter followers, Telegram users, etc. and then having those equal some score. One would would most likely have to weight each of these types of users differently, as it is far easier to garner Facebook likes (and there are exponentially more of them) than say Telegram users. I don’t know how I would weight each of those, but I agree with your idea that how much each of these platforms interfaces with crypto is important. Thus, I might weight each by how much they interface with crypto. Of course, the weighting would then be a subjective factor, because one would have to determine how much more of a crypto interface Telegram is compared to Facebook.

There is also not a standard definition for “community” when referring to crypto, which obfuscates the process of answering this question even further.

Hi Leo,

Until reading this tread, I was not aware of a resource, such as CoinGecko. I have to check it out. Thank you.

Astra Rai

From an outside perspective (not a member), I’m amazed by the analyst community that Messari has built out (100+) in less than a year. Really setting the standard for community engagement around data and information curation.

Yes TRON definitely does a stellar job in marketing (compared to its first whitepaper), especially within the Chinese community Justin Sun knows how to play the Chinese game especially affiliating himself with Jack Ma, etc.

My feeling about the Chinese business/social community is, it’s really easy to get a product viral through artificial means (pumping up numbers), even when it’s not ready (e.g. WeChat is the most used social messaging platform in China, but even so it still has simple bug problem synchronizing msg between web and mobile interface).

My question is, how do we determine whether the community/DApps of TRON is quality one? There could be a lot of DApp user activity but they could be artificial. Is there anyway we can learn that TRON also has a robust underlying protocol/team that is working on solving scalability, security and decentralization problem (just like the ETH community)?

I do not disagree with you that increasing usage through artificial means might be a common practice, though I do not think that is unique to Tron or blockchain entities in general (see article below). I am not trying to justify this practice if it occurs.

For your first question, I would argue that there is little to no way of thoroughly determining the community DApps of Tron are of quality beyond just looking at usage numbers coming from their blockchain or looking at the data service providers who have compiled those numbers for us (ex DAppradar). Unless you are going by someone’s subjective opinion of course.

That being said, I would argue the same for Ethereum, EOS, and other platforms that are much more “popular” than Tron within the intelligentsia of the crypto space. I have seen people who write positive thesis and articles on EOS and Ethereum that cite the exact service providers (ex. DApp radar) in order to make their point, but then claim that Tron’s DApp usage numbers must be fake. There is logical incoherence when the same people who decry Tron for these reasons laud Ethereum for growing DApp users and cite the same growth statistics from the same service provider.

To answer your second question, I do believe that we can point to evidence that there is a team working on solving key technical problems for Tron, as there are many people with titles such as “Technical Lead Manager”, “Blockchain Architecture Lead”, and “Head of Digital Operations” who work for the Tron foundation.
https://www.nitron.org/page/1368782/speakers

While these people actually have titles, unlike the key Ethereum technical leads, I would argue that their job functions are similar. Similarly to Ethereum as well, I am sure these individuals make decisions for the entire community’s sake.