What types of information is there the most misinformation about?

I couldn’t agree more with @jtierney . I also listed Parenting. Some of the biggest topics that have misinformation are discipline style, nutrition, screen time and gender norms. Literally it starts the moment you get pregnant. People ask you what you plan to do about ABC and then give you their opinion, sprinkled with questionable facts and the next person takes the opposite side and does the same thing. I’ve seen social media threads get vicious with people arguing these topics and so much of it is based on an exaggerated headline or misstatement of fact.

As a female, this is a category of information I’d definitely want accurate information on. I’d support having a category in TruStory just for this.

Movies. Movies based on real events always steer away from real events. Sometimes, that’s intentional for entertainment purposes (but still misleading). Other times, not intentional: Titanic might have sank due to a fire, not an iceberg.

New biopic releases are always followed by a horde of critics who point out exaggerations or blatant lies. As a movie buff, this would be a fun topic :slight_smile:

Exactly! Sorry I missed that you mentioned parenting too.

Agree. Especiialy about bios. Amadeus, although an amazing movie is pretty bad in this regard.

Agree with @bhaumik on

• Nutrition & Diet
  • Exercise

Examples

• how much water we actually should be drinking daily; does all water (e.g. in coffee or juices) count toward the total?
  • is wine good for us or not? (so many contradicting studies)
  • is spot reduction possible or no? (e.g. can we lose belly fat by working our core, or is it cardio based, or is diet the main contributor)

Others

• social media metrics and usage
  • voter fraud and intimidation
  • 10,000-hour rule made popular by Malcolm Gladwell
  • money management, trends among different generations

First thing that popped in my mind! @bhaumik Politics: I feel opposing candidates tend to detract leaders in power, while the former can take credit from previous government’s initiatives.

example: India’s rebrand of the “National Skill Development Corporation” (PPP by previous government) into “Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship” & “Skill India” after General Election 2014.

Social science, especially the interpretation of estimation statistics (impact of X on Y), while the calculus are fine, interpretation can be, in some cases, sketchy.

source: N. Taleb numerous critiques to social scientist

Calories Balance Diet: Balance the calories to manage your weight aka “all calories are created equal”, although calories are not equal. We’d rather consume 3 apples than a can coca-cola.

source: Harvard Health Review, " [There’s no sugar-coating it: All calories are not created equal],(https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/theres-no-sugar-coating-it-all-calories-are-not-created-equal-2016110410602)"

My pick would be Religion. It is number one place for misinformation usually trying to sway ppl emotionally and with end results being more violence compared to any other sort of misinformation.

Thanks @ShreyasJothish. What are 1-2 examples of false claims about religion?

Memory / Intelligence: different topics under the same umbrella of misinformation. There’s the old wives tales around what might make you remember more, but also heated debates around topics like IQ (e.g. Naseem Taleb)

I depends on situation but some classic example are.

1. Considering men to be better then women.
  2. Considering few animals are better then others.
  3. Considering ones belief to be better than others and harming ppl who disagree…

So on

Correlation vs Causation.

A consistent theme that underlies huge amounts of misinformation promoted in mainstream/social media regarding fields as diverse as:
Scientific research/discoveries (often misinterpreted/stretched/manipulated)
Politics
Nutrition & Health

Asset Management & Financial Investment Advice

An entire multi-trillion dollar industry is built on the (predominant) misinformation of rent-seekers e.g banks, investment management firms etc. that financial ‘experts’ can reliably and sustainably beat the market/indices by actively managing investments. But (likely) due to misaligned incentives (e.g. managers/banks make money every trade/period due to commissions/fees irregardless of performance), this myth (largely proven statistically to be untrue) prevails and the financial industry continues to con and deceive retail investors and customers.

On a related note, Buffet famously won a bet with Protégé Partners about Hedge fund of funds vs. S&P500 over ten year period from 2007.