What are examples of when misinformation affected you personally?

I’m curious to hear personal stories of when misinformation negatively affected you in a meaningful way, whether that’s financially, economically, health-wise, or in any other way.

Please share :point_down:

Example: The “fat is bad” fallacy that is spread by mainstream food industry.

Believing in this misconception honestly affected me negatively for almost a decade. I ate “fat-free” food thinking it was healthy. I cut out all sources of fat. The end result? I ended up being malnourished and iron deficient for years. It got so bad that I was pretty close to dying because my RBC count went so low one day.

I’ll share the full story another day. But the point being…

Believing in this myth made me sick. I knew something was wrong. My body was speaking to me in ways I couldn’t ignore. So that’s when I went down the health and nutrition rabbit hole. I had to look past mainstream sources and really dive deep to learn the truth. I had to seek out the real experts who were hidden behind the curtains. It honestly took me years to unlearn the fallacies and to relearn the truth from ground up.

Now, it’s my job to pay the duty forward and help other people who have fallen for similar traps and were negatively affected. Hence, why TruStory exists :slight_smile:

I’m African-American and attended an HBCU for my undergraduate studies. I once relayed to a professor, who I deeply respect, some of my long-term goals. Her reaction was, “Who do you think you are? Your goals are not feasible. You should be happy to just get a full-time job with benefits when you graduate.”

This professor, at the time was an authority figure. I didn’t agree with her words, but remained silent. She provided several reasons why a person “who looks like me” shouldn’t attempt “x,y,z.” Which I now know is ridiculous; however, at the time, I took her words as gospel and stayed in a career field to “play it safe” for maybe 8 years or so.

This was a mistake. I was laid off a few years ago and remember thinking to myself, “Fam, you just failed at something you didn’t even really want to do.” I thought of the a quote from Jim Carrey, “You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.”

I learned this lesson the hard way.

My father fractured a small bone in his knee in the summer of 1999. His doctor gave him some opiate-based painkillers to take as it healed. Somewhere somehow he read or heard that aloe juice would purify his liver or help reserve damage the painkillers might cause.

Not only did it not work, but his steady aloe imbibing in combination with the painkillers led to severe jaundice. His skin, nails, and whites of his eyes turned a sickly orange-yellow color and he had to be hospitalized and then bedridden for weeks with hepatitis-like symptoms. It got so bad that my mother gave me and my brother the ‘daddy-might-not-make-it talk.’ Luckily he recovered and we joke about drinking aloe juice now.

Sure he should have been more careful, checked more sources, asked his doctors, proceeded more cautiously, been more skeptical, but people who publish and profit from misleading health claims deserve blame as well.

Just found this from the National Institutes of Health:

Liver injury attributable to oral preparations of aloe vera was first reported in 2005 and at least a dozen cases of clinically apparent liver injury have been published or mentioned in the literature.

Too bad that was about six years too late.

Wow.

So glad to hear your dad recovered!