Questions relating to Trustory idea

Hello,

I’d a few questions after going through ‘What is TruStory’ presentation shared with us. These are listed below.

• Who all can join, post and validate on TruStory? Is there going to be a process to select and on-board people

• If anyone can join, post and vote (eventually), how are majority attacks going to be prevented?
    For e.g. a model similar to ‘click farming’ in web advertisements can start here. The people involved will have incentives if false news gets validated + token incentives from the platform
    Another e.g. - News relating to crypto trading etc. will even have incentives in short term for people. <Think John Mcafee posting here instead of tweeting and all folks going crazy :)>

• Will voting result be a binary outcome? What if time required to validate a news > voting window (For e.g something dependent on SEC’s next statement). Its difficult to preempt voting window duration and its also not logical to keep similar voting window for all kind of posts.

• Reddit also came out with reddit coins. Something very similar to ‘staking’ on discussions. I’m a bit confused on how can Trustory be too different in the long run, given one of the objectives is to have a community of interested, invested and self-motivated people (will be true for sub reddits with coins)

Looking forward to answers.

Cheers !

Hey @RathiSaahil. Thanks for the questions. Impressed with the detail of them. Keep em coming. We love tough, well-thought out criticism.

Q: Who all can join, post and validate on TruStory? Is there going to be a process to select and onboard people?
A: Only people with the token have a say on the platform initially. We’re giving tokens to community members who’ve shown consistent passion and dedication to our platform. They’ve done so by engaging with us daily on discourse and slack, and have continually raised the standard of discussion with their questions and criticisms.

As the app matures, it will be available to anyone. Yes, we are developing an onboarding process to transition people. What we’ve found is that onboarding them onto the app is not that hard. On-boarding their thought-process, changing their mindset about the way they consume information is the hard part, but it’s possible. We’re already doing it every day in our slack channel.

Q: If anyone can join, post and vote (eventually), how are majority attacks going to be prevented?
A: Ah, yes. The “but it can be gamed” question. 1) We’re building an early community that will set the ethos of the platform. This will attract like-minded individuals. This is what we’re doing to attract the “good” actors. 2) To deter “bad” actors, we’ve designed the token incentive system so that “cheating” isn’t rewarding. More about that in this blog post.

Q: Will voting result be a binary outcome? What if the time required to validate a news > voting window (For e.g something dependent on SEC’s next statement). Its difficult to preempt voting window duration and it’s also not logical to keep the similar voting window for all kind of posts.
A: Brilliant question. Voting is a binary outcome but not a permanent one. A story will have a 24-hour window to be voted on. But after it’s been confirmed or rejected by the community of experts, it can re-enter the voting process.

I get what you’re saying. Different stories will need different time periods to fact check them. We have the 24-hour window so it creates urgency. If there were longer time intervals it wouldn’t create the “pressure cooker” level of urgency for people to act upon it. But this might be an assumption that we’d be happy to correct given new evidence. Gotta practice what we preach yo :wink:

Q: Reddit also came out with Reddit coins. Something very similar to ‘staking’ on discussions. I’m a bit confused on how can Trustory be too different in the long run, given one of the objectives is to have a community of interested, invested and self-motivated people (will be true for subreddits with coins)
A: Brilliant question again. I have to look into this more. We’re both trying out similar experiments in incentivizing hobbyists but TruStory will have a more of an emphasis on fact-checking and objective claims whereas Reddit has been a place of high quality, yet opinionated discussion. I hope both succeed!

Side note: I want a place for both opinions and facts. One is not more valuable than the other.

@priyatham - Thanks for the clarification and I’m totally aligned with your side note :grinning:

Also, none of this was a critique! Just learning along with all of us here and these were some questions that came out of thinking about the idea. I’ll keep posting as I continue to dig in!