Best TruStories of the Week - #9

Hey @dnivrav

1. I like the claim. It’s objective and falsifiable. It’s also directly cited in the source you provided.
  2. The formatting is great. Backing, source, etc.
  3. I would change the category to Scams although Privacy and Security works too (can only pick one category though, not too).
  4. I liked the evidence you gave. The best evidence goes straight to the primary source. @paulapivat does a great job with this.

I would screenshotted the link to the Ethereum blockchain that tweet points to. I wonder how if there’s a way to confirm that the addresses are indeed Cryptopia’s and Binance’s…

Backing your claim with 100 Regulation Cred

New York state approved Robinhood to trade in cryptocurrencies.

Here’s a press release from the dfs.ny (Department of Financial Services of New York) confirming it.

DFS

Claim: Ripple to sponsor blockchain research at top Beijing university

Source: https://www.theblockcrypto.com/tiny/ripple-to-sponsor-blockchain-research-at-top-beijing-university/

Category: Projects

My Stake: Back Claim (100 Cred)

Evidence/Analysis:

University Blockchain Research Initiative - https://ubri.ripple.com/

Tsing Hua Website Announcement - http://fintechlab.pbcsf.tsinghua.edu.cn/english/common/main/newsDetail?id=643

Ripple is setting up strategic partnerships with 17 world educational institutions to support and accelerate academic research, technical development and innovation in blockchain, cryptocurrency and digital payments.

So far it has committed over $50 million in program funding. It’s actually a smart move to tap into students and the top academia around different countries.

Thanks @sijo0703 for cloning the claim to make it more specific. I don’t need to update my claim now.

100 CRED backing your cloned claim.

Hi @asusarla, it’s always great to see hopeful stories of blockchain’s potential social impact, like fighting child labor. I’m hopeful and optimistic that one day we’ll be able to confidently make the claim that a blockchain project has successfully reduced child labor along specific supply chain routes.

But as of today, I only have evidence to back a more modest claim, which is IBM has indeed, joined forces with Huayou Cobalt, IBM, LG Chem and RCS Global.

The evidence: Manish Chawla linking to this story on his own Linkedin page. The story cites Huayou Cobalt, IBM, LG Chem and RCS Global as collaborators.

He also linked to other another story which corroborates partnership with Minehub Technologies, which was mentioned in your original source.

Therefore I can back your evidence/source with 50 CRED, but the claim would be something along the lines of:

“IBM joins forces with Huayou Cobalt LG Chem and RCS Global to pilot a project designed to address child labor”

Hopefully some day soon, we’ll be able to stake some CRED that a blockchain project actually reduced child labor. :wink:

@HelloRena Excellent analysis with hands-on backing!
My Stake: 50 CRED - Challenge

This cointelegraph post summarizes about this claim.

Here is the screenshot from Google Ads policy
https://support.google.com/adspolicy/answer/2464998

This is indeed a quantifiable claim. But as the first comment on the Reddit source points out. Is this a valid claim? To compare different metrics - Revenue vs transaction volume?

The comparison is right if it talks about the flow of money which is one-sided in the case of Apple while not in the case of dapp market. But is the revenue same as transaction volume in the cryptospace?

Thank you very much, @priyatham. Really appreciate it.

Will make sure to pick just one category, henceforth.

Hey Priyatham, this is an interesting perspective about token market cap valuation! Intuitively, I am not too convinced with this claim tho.

The current calculation: [Token Market Cap = current amount of tokens x current token price].

Same concept with stocks: [Stock Market Cap = current amount of outstanding shares x stock price].

While tokens and stocks are different, I think we could draw comparison when it comes to calculating market cap. In stock market, a company can choose to issue or buy back stock shares. Similarly, a token protocol (or community) can mint new coins or burn existing coins. However, what market cap reflects is the current market value of a stock or a token network, where the current token price may already price-in future expectations of the token network.

In addition, nobody can assure how a token project will evolve. Some tokens may experience hard fork, or die down, or change token supply mechanism. Therefore, while evaluating the current market cap of a token, it can be misleading to multiply current price with its expected total token supply.

To evaluate aggregate value of a token, it also depends on the type of tokens (utility, security tokens, etc.). Different types can have different approach to measure aggregate value. But, I’m not sure future token supply is a more accurate metric than current marketcap to evaluate token aggregate value.

Challenge claim (20 Cred)

Token valuation is an intriguing topic however. It’s interesting to see if any methodologies will become a standard in the future. (Just like Discounted Cash Flow and a various of other models in finance)

Claim : Podcaster Joe Rogan has a Bitcoin address and is a “hodler” having never spent any.

Category : Bitcoin

Source : https://toshitimes.com/bitcoin-will-be-like-dollar-bills-states-joe-rogan/
(Claim is at the very end of the article).

My Stake : Back claim 50 Cred

My Argument/Evidence : Rogan posted his Bitcoin wallet address to Instagram in April 2014.

Since the address was in a photo, I manually entered it into a block explorer. The address is : 13hc7PPVya2afSweLWKLSPZVtUnavW5sSK

In the blockexplorer you can see that Rogan holds over 5 BTC.
Sorting transactions by SentTransactions yields no results.

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/13hc7PPVya2afSweLWKLSPZVtUnavW5sSK?filter=1

It’s clear that this particular Bitcoin address has no outgoing transactions, but it is possible that Rogan has other addresses that which he may have spent BTC. I’m backing with 50 Cred instead of 100 for that reason.

brilliant. I agree with @eddyso here and I too will challenge this claim for 50 Cred.

Claim : New browser extension ( paywithmoon.com/ ) lets you shop directly on http://Amazon.com with Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash (note: Coinbase account required)

Category : Uses cases

Source : https://twitter.com/Bitcoin/status/1088240048879722496
https://paywithmoon.com/

My Stake : Back Claim 10 CRED.

My Argument/Evidence :

I went to paywithmoon.com and installed the chrome extension.

Logged in and got redirected to Amazon, tried to buy a book
32%20(2)

However, a Coinbase account is required:
43%20(2)

I couldn’t actually complete a transaction (as I don’t have a Coinbase account), so I’ll back this claim with 10 CRED.

Anyone with a Coinbase account is encouraged to try it out :slightly_smiling_face:

Challenging this (30 Cred).

2050 supply is an interesting metric because the supply of tokens varies depending on the model. However, I haven’t found evidence that Y2050 supply would be a more accurate metric with regards to price. There’s so many other variables that are going to affect the value of token along the way until 2050.

@paulapivat I tried it out. Need to wait 48 hours before it connects though. I’ll report back:

After reviewing each resource you provided for this claim, I’m confident to back it with 50 cred.

reporting back on this. Confirming that Moon Chrome extension let’s you shop directly on Amazon with Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash. Screenshots below:

Moon Chrome Extension:

Order summary on Amazon:
29%20PM

Transaction on Coinbase:

Great, great criticism. :pray:t4:

My original thinking was that I think “Y2050 marketcap” is a better metric than “current marketcap” because it evens out all the monetary nuances between tokens (inflation for example). The argument about there being different types of tokens (utility, security, etc) is valid but I don’t think it’s relevant here because that’s more of an error on the individual than the metric.

Your argument about the current marketcap already reflecting the future value of a token because the current price of the token prices-in future expectations of that token convinced me. Because by that logic, Y2050 would be redundant…

My stake: Challenging it (100 Cred)
What do you think @zareef1992?

I agree with @eddyso, and would also further add some further thoughts on on how the “market cap” should be interpreted:

1. I would distinguish between token value and price. The market cap metrics are providing you with the price of tokens, not necessarily the intrinsic value, especially given that value does not reflect emerging valuation models (so difficult to determine if any intrinsic value can be measured).
  2. It is also possible to argue that not all tokens can be valued using a universally agreed models such as DCF for stock price - metrics such as “market cap”, NVT ratio, etc. are just indicators that allow us to perform “sanity checks” on prices, not measure value of tokens

My thoughts on “current market cap reflecting future value”: If we want to believe that the current market price reflects future value based on information publicly available (generally a conclusion of semi strong form efficient market hypothesis - useful discussion in following thread: Does increased data liquidity leads to less volatile stock market?), we have to assume that

1. the token is an asset class which investors hold to collect some risk/return properties - this may not be true of all tokens, especially if they evolve into general mediums of exchange which investors do not consider as an asset class
  2. Investors know how to value tokens, and how information (such as issuance schedule) is reflected in value and price - this is not necessarily true for reasons details above, and also based on eddy’s note
  3. Investors/traders will engage in arbitrage which will move prices closer to fundamental, and ensure prices reflect the information condition 2 serves as a precondition for 3 so this would also not be true

Great comment Zareef.

I personally don’t think any sort of intrinsic valuation framework will ever hold weight for the majority of digital asset market (defined by market cap). Commodities and currencies have no intrinsic valuation model, why would most digital assets that are in effect a commodity or currency?

Backing claim with 100 Cred. On 2/8/2018; I found the same information using Blockchain Explorer.