Best TruStories of the Week - #1

Hey @sijo0703

This claim doesn’t work. I have a feeling you’re like me. I was making this mistake too. You’re finding really niche claims because you’re so deep into crypto…

That claim is more of a hypothesis that can’t be empirically proven. Nevertheless, TruStory can validate claims even that can’t be empirically proven through consensus but still. This claim is a hypothesis with an embedded moral claim: “blockchain is not good for journalism.” the is not good for journalism part makes the claim not work.

The first part could work as a claim “CIVIL token sale failed” or “CIVIL token sale was failure” or "“CIVIL token sale failed to meet its funding goal” all could work, but again, make sure that the claim is found in the source and is not being interpreted or having interpretation added in paraphrasing a point.

Sorry if that was overwhelming. Does that make sense?

Hey @sijo0703

I would change this claim to “Cryptokitties is not decentralized”

“The popular DApp” is extra interpretation and also another claim. You’re making an implicit claim that Cryptokitties is a popular DApp which it might be, but still adding multiple claims into one increases its falsehood surface (if that’s a term). We want to make sure we’re not adding interpretation to the claim and not adding multiple claims into one.

Yes it does; Got it.:sunglasses:

Collectibles like painting / antiques / stamps / coins / cars etc follow different investment theme, driven by scarcity, emotion and occasional greed . Another interesting characteristic is these collectible are NICHE and their success and failure does not impact masses economically or politically . Also collectibles are often so scare - the market is illiquid leading to no proper price discovery …

Bitcoin per say was evolved to impact masses and give them political freedom . We don’t know the future … but currently bitcoin still is not pure collectible as it can buy you things and can be used to pay for work done in some sectors. There are exchanges where Bitcoin still can be traded and price discovery is better & transparent than most collectibles . I think this should get better as more coins are mined .

“New Amendments to French Finance Bill Would Ease Taxes for Crypto-Related Revenue”

@giacusleo This a phenomenal story. Like seriously. Damn. This is amazing. Because the story has information that is extremely timely and nuanced, it’s really important to have it fact-checked.

@paulapivat

Are you kidding me? :pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4:
This is perfect. No comment.

@paulapivat I’d correct this claim to “Ledn rises $1.55M from XYZ” and also “Ledn is trying to be Canda’s first Bitcoin-backed lending platform.” (although from the evidence, it seems like it already has) 1) Split the claims and 2) Remove the “According to a press release” part. It’s redundant given the source.

Also, I really liked your evidence. Someone confirming (or even better showing) that they’ve received a Bitcoin loan from Canad’s “first Bitcoin-backed lending platform” is great proof.

@Shawn This is so bloody brilliant. I liked how you found evidence for both sides.

These are the holy grail claims. These are what the public has lots of interest in, it’s a toss-up whether it’s true or false, lot is at stake, etc.

Point out some nuances.

• Give source. Source should have claim in it.

• The Conclusion. These are the types of interpretive arguments from experts we want to see in the comments section. You presented excellent cases for certain sides, and when a bunch of experts do this for individual claims, the public can contribute their input to your primary research.

“Another interesting characteristic is these collectible are NICHE and their success and failure does not impact masses economically or politically .”

Agreed. Especially in reference to the socioeconomic and political impact of Bitcoin.

Hi @priyatham, I agree there are two claim statements and the second one is totally wrong on may be wordings used. There are several claims or tweets on internet which says Assassination Markets in Augur is seriously bad for Augur network in such a way it will lead to its shutdown. My claim was to prove Assassination markets itself is a sham and never really worked! But there is not enough evidence I have put to prove this here! Also it might be more opinionated than something which can be proved.

A little behind on posting these due to a hectic week of travel.

Claim : Debate rising about the environmental costs of mining bitcoin
Sources : See discussion below, links within

Analysis
There is no doubt that the current process of mining bitcoin consumes a large amount of energy to perform. The use of eye catching titles such as ‘Bitcoin is Consuming As Much Energy as the Country of Ireland (https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-minings-electricity-bill-is-it-worth-it) Ireland’ are intended to convince title skimmers that Bitcoin is destroying our planet. In fact, there is even a website dedicated to measuring the [Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index] which reports metrics such as ‘Number of U.S. Households that could be powered by Bitcoin.’ There is a separate website for the Ethereum energy consumption. The creators of the Index maintain that their findings are based on peer reviewed academic literature since May of 2018 and statistically grounded on Bitmain’s IPO documents.

As someone married to a PhD researcher, I find the validity of these claims a cause for further inquiry. The average timeline for academic research at any leading institution typically spans years and journal reviews can range from months to years as well. While knowledgeable individuals in the bitcoin industry are aware of the energy consumption and understand the problematic implications, many also feel that this will drive further innovation for renewable and sustainable energy sources. On the other end of the spectrum are people such as Barry Silbert, who rebutted a recent article which claims that bitcoin is three times more energy intensive than mining gold by stating that it was fifty times more useful.

Nearly every article I have seen so far has predicted the lifetime amount of energy for mining all twenty one million bitcoin, often reaching astronomical figures. While some mention future improvements in mining equipment having a positive impact, very few assume dramatic changes in the resources, equipment or methods for mining bitcoin. The first modern programmable computer was created eighty years ago and solid state handheld calculators were invented roughly fifty years ago. Keeping in mind that bitcoin will be mined for another century, it seems highly unlikely that bitcoin mining will look anything like it does today at that point.

Claim : Bitcoin transfers no longer need internet connectivity
Sources : linked in discussion below

Analysis
Can you keep your crypto currency wallet identity completely anonymous? Features such as remote self-destruct and complete identity masking sound like the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist. However, these are the goals of companies such as Samourai and Rahakott wallet and are features that many holders of crypto are seeking. But how does an anonymous wallet keep you anonymous when you have to access the internet to use or move your cryptocurrency? How do you keep from leaving any digital footprints when you have to transmit information packets across the web?

The answer lies with a company that makes communication devices for people that want to stay connected to each other in off-the-grid areas. For examples, hikers or backcountry skiers often travel in groups that disperse but need to stay in touch for safety reasons. Using mesh network technology the company goTenna has created a device that attaches to a smartphone and allows individuals to connect to one another without internet connectivity.

Earlier this year, Samourai and goTenna partnered to create internetless bitcoin transactions a reality. Oddly, a recent search of both company websites showed no reference to one another, or the collaboration that was pitched last spring. That did not stop a developer in New Zealand from using the idea to make an off-grid transfer last month. The developer tweeted the details at @coinsurenz and details the process. Two successful transactions were made and the longest distance from the sending phone to the receiving phone was almost eight miles. This developer has proven that bitcoin transactions can be done without internet access. While this is an exciting advancement, it must be remembered that offline transactions run the risk of double spending if they are not synced with the blockchain, thus making it unlikely that offline transactions will gain popularity worldwide. With half the circumference of the earth being approximately 12,450 miles (the theoretical distance needed to reach any location around the world), this 8 mile transaction should be seen as the first step in a long journey towards global offline transactions.

Claim : Ari Paul says he bet his career on crypto
Sources : Linked in discussion

Analysis
Ari Paul, Chief Investment Officer of BlockTower Capital, recently discussed his original disbelief in the value of bitcoin or cryptocurrency. In a thread on Twitter, he began by stating that when a friend sent him an article about bitcoin, he dismissed it. Not only did he dismiss the notion of it having value, he stated that, “"Electronic currency has no future. Value comes either from incredibly long history as value (i.e. gold), or government fiat backed by guns." This is not the statement one would expect from the CIO of one of the largest cryptocurrency hedge funds in the world. Ari Paul went on to explain to his followers on Twitter how he went from being a skeptic in 2011 to a full-fledged crypto evangelist by the end of 2017. Forbes featured Paul as a contributing author exactly a year ago, writing an article comparing the current stage of the crypto industry to that of the internet in 1994. He left his position at the University of Chicago’s 8 billion dollar endowment to build one of the world’s largest crypto currency hedge funds.

Ari Paul describes his change of heart as a ‘gradual’ change and one driven by the fundamental technology underlying crypto currency. As he began to grasp the nuances and layers of blockchain, he began to understand the long term value creation. He also believes that the current bear market is providing a number of improvements to the overall ecosystem as companies and individuals are now building out the infrastructure that the price was outpacing at the end of 2017. Harkening back to his Forbes article, when he mentions failed projects that were too early, he does not see the current market as a bad sign. Instead, it he believes it is a time for building.

Hi @priyatham, I agree there are two claim statements and the second one is totally wrong on may be wordings used. There are several claims or tweets on internet which says Assassination Markets in Augur is seriously bad for Augur network in such a way it will lead to its shutdown. My claim was to prove Assassination markets itself is a sham and never really worked! But there is not enough evidence I have put to prove this here! Also it might be more opinionated than something which can be proved.

[quote=“sijo0703, post:74, topic:243, full:true”]
Hi @priyatham, Again my point for the claim is based on lots of opinions on internet that CIVIL is a failed project because of the failed token sale! But this might not qualify for TruStory claim. Very opinionated! I agree! Now since I understand more about TruStory claim philosophy I have one question. Does TruStory intend to identify claims sourced from internet and verify claims again with evidence available on internet? If TruStory is trying to identify truth just by internet data that is okay! But otherwise TruStory might require some real professional journalists doing some serious investigative journalism to arrive at the real truth. So that brings me to the idea of crowdsourcing honest opinions might be a secondary market for TruStory! Again there is a serious challenge of where to draw the line on opinionated claims found on internet!

In some cases, evidence that we can dig up on the internet will suffice. For example, if statistical evidence is what we need to prove a claim, that can be found online. But if what’s required is testimonial evidence and there is no testimonial evidence on the internet already, then investigative journalism might be required in those instances.

In terms of which claims work and which are too opinionated, this is something we’ll continue to train you and other experts on. It’s a bit nuanced in some cases, but it’s definitely do-able :wink:

Statistical, testimonial, investigative… Might these be THE 3 core paths to evidence on any claim? Sounds like these might sum it up!

Close!!

There are several types of evidence.

1. Statistical (quantitative)
  2. Testimonial (someone’s word)
  3. Anecdotal (someone’s experience)
  4. Analogical (philosophical)

You can read more about them here:
http://www.writingsimplified.com/2009/10/4-types-of-evidence.html (http://www.writingsimplified.com/2009/10/4-types-of-evidence.html)

Analogical evidence should be avoided in most cases. It can be used, but it shouldn’t be the primary form of evidence — only supplementary evidence. Usually, if we are using analogical evidence, it means the claim being made is not objective and requires some subjective analogy to accept or refute the claim.

I’d argue that investigative is just a way to get to the statistical, testimonial or anecdotal evidence.

Ahh interesting! Thanks, I’ll be reading up :grin:

Thanks @priyatham great suggestions.

Revising the claim to include the people/entities leading the financing round actually made it easier to find additional corroborating (and somewhat disconfirming) evidence (see below).

From your suggestions, I’d revise the claim to be as follows:

Claim One : According to a press release, Ledn closes $1.55 million in seed financing from Andrew Clark and Someren Capital ,

Claim Two: Ledn is launching Canada’s first Bitcoin-backed lending platform.

Source : https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/c-o-r-r-e-c-t-i-o-n-from-source----ledn-inc-692986541.html

Evidence : (Confirming) Francis Pouliot confirms that Ledn has issued the first bitcoin-backed loan to his startup @SathoshiPortal

Source : https://twitter.com/francispouliot_/status/1058430225510469632

ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE for Claim One : (Mixed, somewhat confirmatory) According to CBInsights, Someren Capital, along with Andrew Clark, led the seed round for Ledn on 2018-09-11 for $1.19M (not $1.55 as claimed in the press release).

My sense is that often times, follow-up evidence will be mixed (corroborating in some fashion, conflicting in other regards), I guess these “mixed” evidence will ultimately be manifested in how much tokens people on the TruStory platform are willing to stake?

I’m intrigued (excited) to see how the TruStory UI handles cases where claims need to be simplified / split.